Alfred Slote Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection contains written production material for 22 children's books written by Alfred Slote, and includes typescripts, proofs, correspondence, dummies, some with signatures, jacket material, photographs, illustrations, and notes.
- Slote, Alfred (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection is protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials.
Biographical / Historical
Alfred Slote was born September 11, 1926, in New York, New York. He won a Fulbright scholarship in 1950, taught English at Williams College in Mass., then became a television producer, writer, and director. In 1953 he published his first novel for adults. Years later, at the suggestion of his son, he began to write children's books, most of which have Little League baseball or science fiction as their themes. He has won several awards and honors for his work.
"Alfred Slote." Something About the Author. Vol. 72. Detroit, MI: Gale, 1993.
2.9 Cubic Feet (3 boxes [2 record cartons, 1 hollinger box])
Language of Materials
The collection contains written production material for nearly two dozen children's books written by Slote.
Collection guide arranged alphabetically by title.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Alfred Slote.
- Authors, American -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Baseball stories Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Children's literature, American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Children's stories, American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Manuscripts for publication Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Outer space -- Juvenile fiction Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Science fiction Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Tennis stories Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Alfred Slote Papers, 1965-1991
- Jim Eyer
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- July 2016: Collection reprocessed by Emma Mann.
- July 2020: Description updated by Caitlin Marineau.
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Children's Literature Research Collections Collecting Area
Suite 113, Elmer L. Andersen Library