Jessie Willcox Smith Collection
Scope and Contents
The collection contains two original framed oil paintings by Jessie Willcox Smith.
- Smith, Jessie Willcox, 1863-1935 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Jessie Willcox Smith was born in Philadelphia in 1863. She originally studied to be a kindergarten teacher and actually served in that capacity before discovering a propensity for drawing. She studied at the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts. She graduated in 1888 and began a long career as an illustrator. Her earliest work appeared in the monthly magazine for children, St. Nicholas. She died in 1935.
Biographical Source: http://www.bpib.com/illustrat/jwsmith.htm , 2008
Language of Materials
No linguistic content; Not applicable
The collection contains two oil paintings.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Carolyn Haywood.
- Illustrators -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oil paintings (visual works) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Haywood, Carolyn, 1898-1990 (Donor, Person)
- Jessie Willcox Smith Collection, undated
- Jim Eyer
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- July 2020: Description updated by Caitlin Marineau.
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Children's Literature Research Collections Collecting Area
Suite 113, Elmer L. Andersen Library