Barbara Claassen Smucker Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection contains production material for 2 books by Barbara Claassen Smucker, and includes a Canadian edition of a title, with notes for the U. S. edition, front matter, typescript, correspondence, clippings, and prints of three illustrations by Gil Miret.
- 1964-circa 1978
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Barbara Claassen Smucker was born September 1, 1915, in Newton Kansas. Following college she worked as a journalist. She married a Mennonite in 1939, and lived in many different locations until settling in Ontario, Canada in 1969. Most of her writing for children is based on historical events, such as the exodus of Mennonites from Russia in the late 1900s. Her work has received numerous awards and honors. She died in 2003.
Biographical Sources: Something About the Author, vols. 29, 76, 130 Something About the Author Autobiography Series, vol. 11.
Language of Materials
The collection contains production material for two titles by Barbara Claassen Smucker.
Collection guide arranged alphabetically by title
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Barbara Claassen Smucker.
- Authors, American -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Children's literature, American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Children's stories, American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Fugitive slaves -- Juvenile fiction Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Indians of North America -- Juvenile fiction Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Manuscripts for publication Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ojibwa Indians -- Juvenile fiction Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Underground Railroad -- Juvenile fiction Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Barbara Claassen Smucker Papers, 1964-circa 1978
- Jim Eyer
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- April 2017: Collection reprocessed and finding aid updated by Caitlin Marineau
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Children's Literature Research Collections Collecting Area
Suite 113, Elmer L. Andersen Library