Lee Bennett Hopkins Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection contains typescripts, proofs, and correspondence for five books written or compiled by Lee Bennett Hopkins.
- 1969-circa 1977
- Hopkins, Lee Bennett (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Lee Bennett Hopkins was born in Scranton, Pennsylvania in 1938. He earned degrees from Newark State Teachers College, Bank Street College of Education, and Hunter College of the City University of New York. He began his career as a public school teacher and worked as a curriculum and editorial specialist before turning to full-time writing in 1976. He was noted as one of America's most prolific anthologists of poetry for children and he frequently works with single themes for the anthologies such as seasons, science, or sports. He died in 2019.
Biographical source: "Lee Bennett Hopkins."Something About the Author. Vol. 125. Detroit, MI: Gale, 2002.
.4 Cubic Feet (1 hollinger box)
Language of Materials
Collection contains production material for books of poetry written and compiled by Hopkins.
Collection guide arranged alphabetically by title.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Lee Bennett Hopkins.
- Book editors Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Children's literature, American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Children's poetry, American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Poets, American -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Lee Bennett Hopkins Papers, 1969-circa 1977
- Leslie Czechowski
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- April 2017: Collection reprocessed and finding aid updated by Caitlin Marineau.
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Children's Literature Research Collections Collecting Area
Suite 113, Elmer L. Andersen Library