Felice Holman Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection contains production material for twenty-one titles, including The Dracwritten with her daughter Nanine Valen, published between 1963 and 1985 with some material and correspondence dating from 1962 to 1986. The collection also contains correspondence including letters from children to Felice Holman, with some in German, as well as correspondence from her editors and publishers.
- Creation: 1962 - 1986
- Holman, Felice (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Felice Holman was born October 24, 1919 in New York City. She graduated from Syracuse University in 1941 and later worked as an advertising copywriter. Felice Holman married Herbert Valen in 1941 and some of the experiences of their daughter Nanine Elisabeth Valen would inspire her first book Elisabeth, The Bird Watcherpublished in 1963. During the 1960s, she published two more "Elisabeth" stories and wrote some humorous books for children. She has also published books of poetry, realistic fiction, and novels for young adults, including Slake's Limbo.
Biographical Sources: "Felice Holman." Something About the Author. Vol. 82. Detroit, MI: Gale, 1995.
2.9 Cubic Feet (3 boxes [2 record cartons and 1 hollinger box])
Language of Materials
Felice Holman's papers focus on her work as an author of children's and young adult books. The collection contains production material for over twenty books written by Holman.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Felice Holman.
translation missing: en.enumerations.subject_term_type.Topical
- Animals -- Habitations -- Juvenile fiction
- Animals -- Juvenile fiction
- Authors, American -- 20th century
- Birds -- Juvenile fiction
- Cats -- Juvenile fiction
- Children's poetry, American
- Children's stories, American
- Fantasy fiction
- Fear -- Juvenile fiction
- Flight -- Juvenile fiction
- Folklore -- France
- Humorous stories
- Imagination -- Juvenile fiction
- Jews -- United States -- Juvenile fiction
- Orphans -- Juvenile fiction
- Parrots -- Juvenile fiction
- Plants -- Juvenile fiction
- Schools -- Juvenile fiction
- Subways -- New York (State) -- New York -- Juvenile fiction
- Survival -- Juvenile fiction
- Witches -- Juvenile fiction
- Young adult fiction, American
- Felice Holman Papers, 1962-1886
- Christina Cowan
- June 1999
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- September 2018: Collection reprocessed and finding aid updated by Caitlin Marineau
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Children's Literature Research Collections Collecting Area
Suite 113, Elmer L. Andersen Library