Thacher Hurd Papers
Scope and Contents
This collection consists of production material for 13 children's books written and/or illustrated by Thacher Hurd, including manuscripts, typescripts, dummies, research, and correspondence, as well as sketches, studies, illustrations, and color separations in a variety of media. The collection also includes catalogs and greeting card artwork for Peaceable Kingdom Press.
- Creation: 1968-2001
- Hurd, Thacher (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
John Thacher Hurd was born in 1949 in Burlington, Vermont, son of children's book illustrator Clement Hurd and children's book author Edith Thacher Hurd. His youth was spent in rural Vermont where he often watched his father work in his studio and where he learned about children's books. At the age of 16 he collaborated with his parents on the book Little Dog Dreaming. He attended the California College of Arts and Crafts and later taught writing and illustrating for children, but wanted to become a serious artist. He didn't intend to become a children's author and illustrator, but soon realized that "the little doodles and fanciful drawings" he was doing on the side were expressing a deeper part of himself. His first solo effort was The Quiet Eveningin 1978. He continues to write and illustrate children's books and also co-owns Peaceable Kingdom Press with his wife, Olivia Hurd.
"(John) Thacher Hurd." Something About the Author. Vol. 94. Detroit, MI: Gale, 1998.
17 Linear Feet (9 boxes)
Language of Materials
This collection consists of production material for 13 children's books created or illustrated by Thacher Hurd.
The collection guide is arranged alphabetically by title.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Thacher Hurd.
translation missing: en.enumerations.subject_term_type.Topical
Genre / Form
- Alligators -- Juvenile fiction
- Authors, American -- 20th century
- Automobiles -- Juvenile fiction
- Bedtime -- Juvenile fiction
- Birthdays -- Juvenile fiction
- Cats -- Juvenile fiction
- Chickens -- Juvenile fiction
- Children's stories, American
- Christmas stories
- Detective and mystery stories
- Dinosaurs -- Juvenile fiction
- Dogs -- Juvenile fiction
- Foxes -- Juvenile fiction
- Kidnapping -- Juvenile fiction
- Mice -- Juvenile fiction
- Musicians -- Juvenile fiction
- Peace -- Juvenile literature
- Picture books
- Rats -- Juvenile fiction
- Santa Claus -- Juvenile fiction
- Stories in rhyme
- Swamps -- Juvenile fiction
- Valentine's Day -- Juvenile fiction
- Thacher Hurd Papers, 1968-2001
- Leslie Czechowski
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- October 8, 2015: Collection reprocessed and EAD updated by Teresa Tjepkes.
- July 2020: Description updated by Caitlin Marineau.
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Children's Literature Research Collections Collecting Area
Suite 113, Elmer L. Andersen Library