Jan Slepian Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection corrected typescripts and proofs for The Alfred Summer, by Jan Slepian.
- 1979, undated
- Slepian, Jan (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Janice B. Slepian was born January 2, 1921, in New York, New York. She became a psychologist, but when she could not find work in that field, accepted a position as a language therapist at Mass. General Hospital in Boston. A colleague of hers at the hospital, Dr. Ann Seidler, suggested they collaborate on writing a series of newspaper articles about everyday speech problems, for worried parents. That was the beginning of Slepian's writing career. Working as a speech therapist, plus growing up with a handicapped brother, led her to feature handicapped individuals in many of her books, several of which have received honors or awards. She died in 2016.
Biographical Sources: Something About the Author, vols. 45, 51, and 85. Something About the Author Autobiography Series, vol. 8. Detroit, MI: Gale.
Language of Materials
The collection contains production material for one title by Jan Slepian.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Jan Slepian.
- Authors, American -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Children with disabilities -- Juvenile fiction Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Children's literature, American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Children's stories, American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Friendship -- Juvenile fiction Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Manuscripts for publication Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Jan Slepian Papers, 1979, undated
- Jim Eyer
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- April 2017: Collection reprocessed and finding aid updated by Caitlin Marineau.
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Children's Literature Research Collections Collecting Area
Suite 113, Elmer L. Andersen Library