William Stobbs Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection contains illustrative material for two children's books illustrated by William Stobbs, and includes ink illustrations, jacket layouts, an ink map, and original color and black and white illustrations.
- circa 1959-circa 1969
- Stobbs, William (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
William Stobbs was born June 27, 1914, in South Shields, England, and died April 6, 2000. He was an administrator, illustrator, and author. He was head of the design department at the London School of Printing, and also served as principal at Maidstone College of Art in Kent. His books for children feature both retold and original stories.
Biographical Source: William Stobbs. Something About the Author. Vol. 120. Detroit, MI: Gale, 2001.
Language of Materials
The collection contains illustrative material for two children's books illustrated by Stobbs.
Collection guide arranged alphabetically by title.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of William Stobbs.
- Ballads, English Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Children's literature -- Illustrations Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Drawings (visual works) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Frontier and pioneer life -- New France -- Juvenile fiction Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Illustration of books -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Illustrators -- England Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- William Stobbs Papers, circa 1959-circa 1969
- Jim Eyer
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- July 2020: Description updated by Caitlin Marineau.
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Children's Literature Research Collections Collecting Area
Suite 113, Elmer L. Andersen Library