Emilie Buchwald Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of production material for two children's books by Buchwald. Materials include typescripts, proofs and correspondence.
- 1969 - 1983
- Buchwald, Emilie (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Emilie Buchwald was born in Vienna, Austria in 1935. She earned a B.A. from Barnard College (1957), an M.A. from Columbia University (1960), and a Ph.D. from the University of Minnesota (1971). Buchwald is a poet and writer of fiction, as well as working as an editor, and as an instructor in English, poetry and literature. She has published two award winning children's books, Floramel and Estebanand Gildaen, as well as two picture books under her maiden name Daisy Bix, Buddy Unchainedand At the Dog Park.
Emilie Buchwald is co-founder of Milkweed Editions, a leading independent, not for profit literary publisher based in Minneapolis, MN, and founder of Gryphon Press in 2006, which publishes high-quality children's books that focus on the human-animal bond. She has been awarded an honorary Doctor of Humane Letters from the University of Minnesota, a McKnight Distinguished Artist Award (2002); Kay Sexton Award for fostering books, reading, and literary activity (2007); and The National Book Critics Circle Ivan Sandroff Lifetime Achievement Award (2008).
.4 Cubic Feet (1 hollinger box)
Language of Materials
Collection contains production materials for two titles by Emilie Buchwald.
Collection guide arranged alphabetically by title.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Emilie Buchwald, 1983.
- Authors, American -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Children's literature, American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Children's stories, American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Cows -- Juvenile fiction Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Fantasy fiction Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Friendship -- Juvenile fiction Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Magic -- Juvenile fiction Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Manuscripts for publication Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Rabbits -- Juvenile fiction Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Emilie Buchwald Papers, 1969-1983
- Nancy Larsen
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- 2013: Collection reprocessed and finding aid updated
- January 2018: Finding aid updated by Caitlin Marineau
- July 2020: Description updated by Caitlin Marineau.
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Children's Literature Research Collections Collecting Area
Suite 113, Elmer L. Andersen Library