Edward Steichen Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection contains black and white photographs and negatives for the children's book My First Picture Book, written by Mary Steichen Marton and illustrated by Edward Steichen.
- circa 1930
- Steichen, Edward, 1879-1973 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Edward Steichen was born in 1879 in Luxembourg and immigrated to the United States in 1882, settling in Michigan with his family. Steichen's artistic career began at the age of 15 when he commenced an apprenticeship at the American Fine Art Company in Milwaukee, WI. Though he enjoyed painting, Steichen's biggest passion was photography, and after collaborating with photographer Alfred Stieglitz he ventured into color photography, becoming one of the first US photographers to use the Lumiere Autochrome process. After doing aerial photography during World War I, Steichen focused on realist photography. Steichen worked as a commercial photographer before again doing military work during World War II, after which he became director of photography at the Museum of Modern Art. It was here that he organized his most well-known exhibit, The Family of Man. Steichen died in 1973 in Connecticut.
Biographical Source: Spartacus Educational. Accessed 18 April 2008. http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/USAPsteichen.htm.
Language of Materials
The collection contains black and white photographs for one book illustrated by Edward Steichen.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Edward Steichen.
- Children's literature -- Illustrations Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Children's literature, American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Illustration of books -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Illustrators -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Negatives (photographs) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographers Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photographs Subject Source: Local sources
- Picture books Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Edward Steichen Papers, circa 1930
- Jim Eyer
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- May 2023: Collection reprocessed and collection guide updated by Caitlin Marineau.
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Children's Literature Research Collections Collecting Area
Suite 113, Elmer L. Andersen Library