Clyde Robert Bulla Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of production material for twenty titles published between 1955 and 1984, written by Clyde Robert Bulla, including typescripts, proofs, notes, articles and photographs.
- Creation: circa 1955-circa 1994
- Bulla, Clyde Robert (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Clyde Robert Bulla, author of over fifty children's books, was born Janury 9, 1914 on a farm near King City, MO, and passed away May 23, 2007 in Warrensburg, Missouri. In his early years he attended a one room school house run by his older sister. He attended one year of high school before dropping out to help his family on the farm. He completed his education by correspondence. Although he wanted to be a writer, he was a farmer on his family farm until 1942 when his father died and the family moved into town. He was a linotype operator and newspaper columnist until 1947. Bulla's first book, The Donkey Cart, was published in 1946. He was the first recipient of hte Southern California Council on Children's Literature award for distinguished contribution to the field. His authobiography, A Grain of Wheat: A Writer Begins, was published in 1985.
1.2 Cubic Feet (3 boxes)
Language of Materials
This collection consists of production material for children's books by Clyde Bulla, including typescripts, proofs, notes, articles and photographs.
Collection guide arranged alphabetically by title.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Clyde Robert Bulla.
translation missing: en.enumerations.subject_term_type.Topical
Genre / Form
- Mexico -- Juvenile fiction
- United States -- History -- Colonial period, ca. 1600-1775 -- Juvenile fiction
- Adventure and adventurers -- Juvenile fiction
- Adventure stories
- Artists -- Juvenile fiction
- Authors, American -- 20th century
- Bible stories, English -- Old Testament
- Children's stories, American
- Dolls -- Juvenile fiction
- Fantasy fiction
- Folklore -- Germany
- Folklore -- Norway
- Friendship -- Juvenile fiction
- Indians of North America -- Juvenile fiction
- Orphans -- Juvenile fiction
- Picture books
- Trees -- Juvenile fiction
- Vikings -- Juvenile fiction
- Wood carving -- Juvenile fiction
- Clyde Robert Bulla Papers, circa 1955-circa 1994
- Nancy Larsen and CLRC staff
- June 2005 and December 2013
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- December 2013: Collection reprocessed by Victoria Rieck; EAD updated by Kate Dietrick
- July 2020: Description updated by Caitlin Marineau.
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Children's Literature Research Collections Collecting Area
Suite 113, Elmer L. Andersen Library