Rika Lesser Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection contains three typescripts and notes related to Lesser's English translation of Rafik Schami's novel A Hand Full of Stars, originally published in German under the title Eine Hand voller Sterne in 1987.
- circa 1989
- Lesser, Rika (Translator, Person)
- Schami, Rafik, 1946- (Author, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Rika Lesser was born July 21, 1953 in Brooklyn, NY. She graduated summa cum laude from Yale University in 1974, attended the University of Gothenburg from 1974-1975, and received her M.F.A from Columbia University in 1977. She pursued a career in news and graphics, becoming a lecturer in creative writing beginning in 1985. She became governing board member of the Translation Center at Columbia University. She has received many national and international awards. Her retelling of Hansel and Gretelwas a Caldecott Honor Book in 1985. In addition to translating many books, she has contributed to magazines and newspapers, including the New Yorker, New York Review of Books, Nation, and New Republic.
"Rika Lesser." Something About the Author. Vol. 53. Detroit, MI: Gale, 1988.
.4 Cubic Feet (1 hollinger box)
Language of Materials
The collection contains typescripts and notes for the English translation of one title translated by Rika Lesser.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Rika Lesser.
- Children's literature, German -- Translations Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Manuscripts for publication Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Syria -- Juvenile fiction Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Translators Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Rika Lesser Papers, circa 1989
- David E Byer
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- January 2017: Collection reprocessed and finding aid updated by Caitlin Marineau
- July 2020: Description updated by Caitlin Marineau.
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Children's Literature Research Collections Collecting Area
Suite 113, Elmer L. Andersen Library