Betsy Lewin Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of typescripts, watercolor and pencil illustrations, correspondence, and other materials related to the creation of picture books illustrated and/or written by Betsy Lewin.
- Creation: 1995 - 2016
- Lewin, Betsy (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Betsy (nee Reilly) Lewin was born May 12, 1937, in Clearfield, Pennsylvania. She received her Batchelor of Fine Arts at Pratt Institute of Art in 1959. After graduation, she worked as a designer of greeting cards and soon began to write and illustrate stories for children's magazines. She has collaborated with a number of authors including, Doreen Cronin, Erica Silverman, husband Ted Lewin, and many others. She has won a number of awards, most notably a Caldecott Honor for Click, Clack, Moo: Cows That Type, in 2000.
Biographical Source: "Betsy Lewin." Something About the Author. Vol 90. Detroit, MI: Gale, 1997.
8 Linear Feet (5 boxes)
Language of Materials
The collection consists of typescripts, watercolor and pencil illustrations, correspondence, and other materials related to the creation of picture books and works illustrated and/or written by Betsy Lewin.
Collection guide arranged alphabetically by title.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Betsy Lewin.
translation missing: en.enumerations.subject_term_type.Topical
Genre / Form
- Animal ecology -- Juvenile literature
- Authors, American -- 20th century
- Authors, American -- 21st century
- Children's literature -- Illustrations
- Children's stories, American
- Christmas stories
- City and town life -- Juvenile fiction
- Cowgirls -- Juvenile fiction
- Cows -- Juvenile fiction
- Domestic animals -- Juvenile fiction
- Ducks -- Juvenile fiction
- Hippopotamus -- Juvenile fiction
- Horses -- Juvenile fiction
- Illustration of books -- 21st century
- Natural history -- Juvenile literature
- Picture books
- Picture books
- Plants -- Juvenile literature
- Santa Claus -- Juvenile fiction
- Betsy Lewin Papers, 1995-2016
- Christopher M True
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- May 21, 2018: Added loose material and reprocessed some material to collection by Carter Lynn Thurmond.
- July 2020: Description updated by Caitlin Marineau.
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Children's Literature Research Collections Collecting Area
Suite 113, Elmer L. Andersen Library