Diane Stanley Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection contains production material, including typescripts, notes, correspondence, sketches, and dummies, for picture books, novels, and historical children's books written and/or illustrated by Diane Stanley. The collection also includes items related to two musical adaptations of her books (The Conversation Club and Rumpelstiltskin's Daughter), and a typescript for an unpublished novel called Timeborn.
- Creation: 1968-circa 2020
- Stanley, Diane (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Diane Stanley was born December 27, 1943, in Abilene, Texas. She earned a B.A. from Trinity University and an M.A. from Johns Hopkins University. She became an author and illustrator of children's books. She has written works of fiction, nonfiction (including historical biographies), picture books, and folktales. She lives in Santa Fe, New Mexico.
Biographical Sources: "Diane Stanley." Something About the Author. Vol. 164. Detroit, MI: Gale, 2006.
1.84 Cubic Feet (2 boxes [1 record carton and 1 flat box])
2.91 Gigabytes (615 digital files)
Language of Materials
The collection contains production materials related to books written and/or illustrated by Diane Stanley.
Collection guide arranged alphabetically by publication title, with miscellaneous material at the end.
Physical Characteristics and Technical Requirements
Digital files include Microsoft Word documents, image files (.jpg, .psd, .tif), PDF documents, and audio files (.aiff).
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Diane Stanley.
- Joan of Arc, Saint, 1412-1431 -- Juvenile literature (Depicted, Person)
- Elizabeth I, Queen of England, 1533-1603 -- Juvenile literature (Depicted, Person)
- da Vinci, Leonardo, 1452-1519 -- Juvenile literature (Depicted, Person)
- Dickens, Charles, 1812-1870 -- Juvenile literature (Depicted, Person)
- Kaiulani, Princess of Hawaii, 1875-1899 -- Juvenile literature (Depicted, Person)
- Mozart, Wolfgang Amadeus, 1756-1791 -- Juvenile literature (Depicted, Person)
- Peter I, Emperor of Russia, 1672-1725 -- Juvenile literature (Depicted, Person)
- Saladin, Sultan of Egypt and Syria, 1137-1193 -- Juvenile literature (Depicted, Person)
- Cleopatra, Queen of Egypt, 30 B.C. -- Juvenile literature (Depicted, Person)
translation missing: en.enumerations.subject_term_type.Topical
Genre / Form
- Animals -- Juvenile fiction
- Archaeology -- Juvenile fiction
- Artists -- Biography -- Juvenile literature
- Authors -- Biography -- Juvenile literature
- Authors, American -- 21st century
- Beaches -- Juvenile fiction
- Children's literature -- Illustrations
- Children's stories, American
- Dogs -- Juvenile fiction
- Fairy Tales
- Folklore -- Slavic countries
- Humorous stories
- Knights and knighthood -- Juvenile fiction
- Magic -- Juvenile fiction
- Nursery rhymes
- Orphans -- Juvenile fiction
- Picture books
- Time travel -- Juvenile fiction
- Diane Stanley Papers, 1968-circa 2020
- Jim Eyer
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- April 2017: Collection reprocessed and finding aid updated by Caitlin Marineau
- May 2022: New material added and description updated by Caitlin Marineau.
- November 2022: Digital files processed and description updated by Caitlin Marineau.
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Children's Literature Research Collections Collecting Area
Suite 113, Elmer L. Andersen Library