Charlotte Baker Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection contains written production material for Cockleburr Quarterswritten by Charlotte Baker, including corrected typescripts, correspondence, and photographs.
- 1970 - 1978
- Baker, Charlotte, 1910-2001 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Charlotte Baker Montgomery was born August 31, 1910 in Nacogdoches, Texas. She earned her undergraduate degree from Mills College (Oakland, California) in 1929 and her M.A. from University of California, Berkeley in 1930. For almost 20 years, Charlotte Baker taught art at the high school and collegiate level, and from 1945-1950 she served as the acting director at the Portland Art Museum in Oregon.
In 1950 she returned to her hometown and became a full-time writer and illustrator. Along with her husband, she organized the Humane Society of Nacogdoches County in 1959 and was a life-long advocate for the humane treatment of animals. She published 21 books, short stories, poems, instructional articles and play adaptations, and she illustrated many of her own books, most of which were centered around animals. Her book Cockleburr Quarterswas nominated for the Newbery Award in 1972.
Charlotte Baker Montgomery died in April 2009.
.3 Cubic Feet (1 box)
Language of Materials
The collection contains written production material for one title written by Charlotte Baker.
- Authors, American -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Children's literature, American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Children's stories, American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Dogs -- Juvenile fiction Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Manuscripts for publication Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Charlotte Baker Papers, 1970-1978
- CLRC staff.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- March 2013: Collection reprocessed by Carly Lawrence; EAD updated by Karen Spilman
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Children's Literature Research Collections Collecting Area
Suite 113, Elmer L. Andersen Library