Emily Jenkins (E. Lockhart) papers
Scope and Contents
The materials in the collection include typescripts and corrected typescripts, correspondence, notes, clippings and reviews, promotional materials, dummys, and front matter related to children's and young adult books by Emily Jenkins, two of which were published under the name E. Lockhart. There is also a small amount of material related to unpublished works.
- Creation: 1996-2014
- Jenkins, Emily, 1967- (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Emily Jenkins was born in 1967 in New York, New York and grew up in both Seattle, Washington and Cambridge, Massachusetts. She received her B.A. from Vassar College and completed her doctorate at Columbia University on 19th-century English literature. Her first children's book, The Secret Life of Billie's Uncle Myron, was published in 1996. Her first young adult title published under the name E. Lockhart, The Boyfriend List, was published in 2005. Her 2008 publication, The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks, was a finalist for the National Book Award for Young People's Literature and won the 2009 Printz Award. She currently resides in New York City and teaches as part of Hamline University's low-residency MFA program in Writing for Children.
3 boxes (1.20 cubic feet)
Language of Materials
This collection consists of manuscript materials related to children's and young adult books by Emily Jenkins (some published under the name E. Lockhart).
Collection guide arranged alphabetically by title; miscellaneous unidentified materials are listed under Miscellaneous.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Emily Jenkins.
translation missing: en.enumerations.subject_term_type.Topical
Genre / Form
- Authors, American -- 21st century
- Bildungsromans -- Juvenile fiction
- Boarding schools -- Juvenile fiction
- Bullying -- Juvenile fiction
- Children's stories, American
- Clothing and dress -- Juvenile fiction
- Cooking -- Juvenile fiction
- Desserts -- Juvenile fiction
- Friendship -- Juvenile fiction
- Imaginary companions -- Juvenile fiction
- Individuality -- Juvenile fiction
- Interpersonal relations -- Juvenile fiction
- Parent and child -- Juvenile fiction
- Picture books
- Sisters -- Juvenile fiction
- Toys -- Juvenile fiction
- Truthfulness and falsehood -- Juvenile fiction
- Wealth -- Juvenile fiction
- Young adult fiction, American
- Emily Jenkins papers, undated, 1996-2014
- Kate Dietrick
- March 2014
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- March 2014: Collection reprocessed by Carly Lawrence; EAD updated by Kate Dietrick
- June 2020: Description updated by Caitlin Marineau.
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Children's Literature Research Collections Collecting Area
Suite 113, Elmer L. Andersen Library