Larry Dane Brimner Papers
Scope and Content
The Larry Dane Brimner papers contains production materials, including drafts, proofs, and research, for historical non-fiction juvenile titles written by Brimner.
- Creation: 2005 - 2018
- Brimner, Larry Dane (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Larry Dane Brimner was born on November 5, 1939 in St. Petersburg, Florida. After earning his B.A. in British Literature from San Diego State University, Brimner spent 20 years as a teacher. His first book for children, BMX Freestylewas published in 1987.
Brimner has published over 150 books for children and young adults, including non-fiction, fiction, chapter books, and early reader picture books. Many of his books have been award winners, including the Norman A. Sugarman Children's Biography Award, Jane Addams Children's Book Award Book for the Teen Age (New York Public Library), Best Children's Book of the Year list (Bank Street College of Education) for We Are One: The Story of Bayard Rustinand the Kirkus "Best Book" List for 2010, Chicago Public Library "Best of the Best Book", Bank Street College "Best Children's Books of the Year" list (2011), and the 2011 NCTE Orbis Pictus Honor Book Award for Birmingham Sunday.
2.6 Cubic Feet (3 boxes [2 record cartons and 1 flat box])
Language of Materials
The Larry Dane Brimner papers contains production materials for non-fiction juvenile works written by Brimner.
Collection guide arranged alphabetically by title.
Source of acquisition
Gift of Larry Dane Brimner.
- Shuttlesworth, Fred L., 1922-2011 -- Juvenile literature (Depicted, Person)
- Connor, Eugene, 1897-1973 -- Juvenile literature (Depicted, Person)
- Rustin, Bayard, 1912-1987 -- Juvenile literature (Depicted, Person)
translation missing: en.enumerations.subject_term_type.Topical
Genre / Form
- African Americans -- Biography -- Juvenile literature
- African Americans -- Civil rights -- 20th century -- Juvenile literature
- Authors, American -- 20th century
- Authors, American -- 21st century
- Blacklisting of entertainers -- United States -- History -- 20th century -- Juvenile literature
- Civil rights -- United States -- Juvenile literature
- Civil rights workers -- United States -- Juvenile literature
- Communism -- United States -- Juvenile literature
- Freedom Rides, 1961 -- Juvenile literature
- Hate crimes -- Alabama -- Birmingham -- History -- 20th century -- Juvenile literature
- Ku Klux Klan (1915-) -- Alabama -- Birmingham -- History -- 20th century -- Juvenile literature
- Motion picture industry -- United States -- History -- Juvenile literature
- Larry Dane Brimner Papers, 2005-2018
- Karen Spilman
- April 2013; February 2015
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- April 2019: New material added and collection guide updated
- June 2020: Description updated by Caitlin Marineau.
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Children's Literature Research Collections Collecting Area
Suite 113, Elmer L. Andersen Library