Viola Canales Papers
Scope and Contents
This collection contains manuscript materials for one Viola Canales's novel The Tequila Worm, published in 2005, and includes typescripts and correspondence.
- undated, 2003-2004
- Canales, Viola (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Born on April 21, 1957, Viola Canales grew up in McAllen Texas before graduating from Harvard College in 1986 and Harvard Law School in 1989. Her wide range of work includes being a captain in the United States Army, a community organizer for the Unived Farm Workers,and worked as an official in the Clinton Administration. Her novel The Tequila Wormwon the Pura Belpre Award in 2006. She has also published a book of short stories titled Orange Candy Slices and Other Secret Tales. Canales currently lives in Stanford, California with her family.
1 box (0.40 cubic feet)
Language of Materials
This collection consists of manuscript materials related to one novel by Viola Canales.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Viola Canales.
- Authors, American -- 21st century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Boarding schools -- Juvenile fiction Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Children's literature, American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Manuscripts for publication Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Mexican Americans -- Juvenile fiction Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Young adult fiction, American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Young adult literature, American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Viola Canales papers, 2003-2004, undated
- Finding aid created by CLRC staff
- January 2007
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- May 2014: Collection reprocessed by Carly Lawrence; EAD updated by Kate Dietrick
- June 2020: Description updated by Caitlin Marineau.