Lucy Johnston Sypher Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection contains typescripts, page proofs, reviews, and ephemera related to Lucy Johnston Sypher's publications -- primarily The Spell of the Northern Lightsand The Turnabout Year. Research, including photographs from the early twentieth century, are also included.
- Circa 1900-1990
- Sypher, Lucy Johnston (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Lucy Johnston Sypher was born August 6, 1907 in Wales, ND. She graduated from the University of North Dakota, before receiving an M.A. from Tufts University in 1929. She worked for forty years as an instructor at Lasell Junior College in Auburndale, MA. Works include The Edge of Nowhere, Cousins and Circuses, The Spell of the Northern Lights, and The Turnabout Year, fictionalized accounts of her childhood in North Dakota. She married Wylie Sypher in 1929 and had two children, G. Wylie Sypher, and Gale Sypher Jacob. She died in 1990.
1 boxes (1 cubic foot)
Language of Materials
This collection consists of materials related to publications by author Lucy Johnston Sypher.
Publications are arranged alphabetically by title, followed by miscellaneous material.
Source of acquisition
Gift of Gale Sypher Jacob and G. Wylie Sypher.
- Courage -- Juvenile fiction Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Families -- Juvenile fiction Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- North Dakota Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photographs Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Prairies Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Lucy Johnston Sypher Papers, circa 1900-1990
- Caitlin Marineau
- July 2015
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- June 2020: Description updated by Caitlin Marineau.