Ralph J. Fletcher Papers
Scope and Contents
This collection consists of manuscript materials related to Ralph Fletcher's five picture books and young adult novels published between 1997 and 2012, as well as unpublished titles, and includes correspondence, notes, typescripts and corrected typescripts, and holograph photocopies.
- Creation: 1989 - 2017
- Fletcher, Ralph J. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library Reading Room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Born March 17, 1953 in Plymouth, Massachusetts, Ralph grew up as the eldest of nine children in Marshfield, Massachusetts. He graduated from Dartmouth College in 1975 and completed an MFA in writing from Columbia University in 1983. Fletcher's first publication, I Am Wings: Poems About Love, was published in 1994. His publications have won numerous awards, including his young adult novel, Uncle Daddy, which won a Christopher Medal in 2002, and his young adult chapter book Fig Puddingwas named one of the ten best books of 1995 by the American Library Association. Fletcher resides in Lee, New Hampshire with his wife, JoAnn Portalupi, with whom he has collaborated on several professional educator books.
2 Cubic Feet (1 record carton, 1 flat box)
Language of Materials
This collection consists of manuscript materials related to Ralph Fletcher's published works.
Publications are arranged alphabetically by title, with correspondence at the end.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Ralph J. Fletcher.
translation missing: en.enumerations.subject_term_type.Topical
Genre / Form
- Authors, American -- 21st century
- Boats and boating -- Juvenile fiction
- Children's stories, American
- Clamming -- Juvenile fiction
- Cousins -- Juvenile fiction
- Dragons -- Juvenile fiction
- Picture books
- Sandman -- Juvenile fiction
- Single parent families -- Juvenile fiction
- Sleep -- Juvenile fiction
- Young adult fiction, American
- Ralph J. Fletcher papers, undated, 1989-2012
- Finding aid created by Kate Dietrick
- 2014, 2016
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- May 2014: Collection reprocessed by Carly Lawrence; EAD updated by Kate Dietrick
- September 15, 2016: EAD updated by Katelyn Ostby
- March 2018: New material added by Carter Thurmond
- June 2020: Description updated by Caitlin Marineau.
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Children's Literature Research Collections Collecting Area
Suite 113, Elmer L. Andersen Library