Margaret Ann Hubbard Papers
Scope and Contents
The Margaret Ann Hubbard Papers Collection includes correspondence, personal papers, photographs, corrected typescripts, gallery proofs, and research notes from her juvenile books, adult books, plays, and short stories, both published and unpublished.
- 1935-1972, 2001
- Hubbard, Margaret Ann, 1909- (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Margaret Ann Hubbard was born in 1909 on her parent’s North Dakota homestead. Margaret graduated from Duluth High School, Duluth Teacher’s College, and the University of Minnesota, Minneapolis with a BA in English in 1932. She began her writing career as a playwright for children’s theatre, and then moved to writing juvenile fiction where she met with much success. During WWII, she became a radio operator for Northwest Airlines at the Duluth airport. Plays for local productions and many short stories were written throughout her long career. For the second half of her career, murder mysteries and creative nonfiction became her preferred genre. Margaret Ann Hubbard was awarded a fellowship from the Bruce Publishing Company to complete her manuscript, Flight of the Swan: A Novel based on the Life of Hans Christian Andersen (1946).
12 Linear Feet (14 Boxes)
Language of Materials
The collection includes correspondence, personal papers, photographs, corrected typescripts, gallery proofs, and research notes related to the life and work of writer Margaret Ann Hubbard.
- Writing listed alphabetically by title
- Reviews and Bibliographic Information for Manuscripts
- Poetry, Prose and Music
- Short Stories
- Speeches and Articles
- Untitled Fragments
- Personal Papers
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Jeanne Priley McLean.
- Authors, American -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Children's literature, American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Detective and mystery stories Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Manuscripts for publication Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Plays Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Playwriting Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Poetry - 20th Century. Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Young adult fiction, American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Young adult literature, American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- McLean, Jeanne P. (Donor, Person)
- Margaret Ann Hubbard Papers, 1935-1972, 2001
- Cheryll Fong
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- June 2020: Description updated by Caitlin Marineau.
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Children's Literature Research Collections Collecting Area
Suite 113, Elmer L. Andersen Library