Margaret Bloy Graham Collection
Scope and Contents
The collection contains production materials for two children's books from the 1950s: Harry and the Dirty Dog and The Plant Sitter. The materials include a pencil and watercolor sketches, cover paste-up study, and pencil sketch.
- circa 1956-circa 1959
- Graham, Margaret Bloy (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Margaret Bloy Graham was born November 2, 1920, in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. She attended the University of Toronto, graduating with a B.A. in 1943, and worked as a draftsman artist before beginning to illustrate books in the 1940s. In 1951 she illustrated her first children's book All Falling Down, written by her first husband and frequent collaborator, Gene Zion. The book was a Caldecott Honor Book, and the following year she received another Caldecott Honor for The Storm Book, written by Charlotte Zolotow. Throughout her long career she illustrated and wrote many books, and is best know for her and Gene Zion's 'Harry' series. She died in 2015 in Massachusetts.
Biographical Source: "Margaret Bloy Graham (1920-)." Something About the Author. Vol. 11. Detroit, MI: Gale, 1977.
Language of Materials
This collection contains sketches and studies related to two children's books illustrated by Margaret Bloy Graham.
Collection guide arranged alphabetically by publication title.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Dr. Irvin Kerlan.
- Children's literature -- Illustrations Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Dogs -- Juvenile fiction Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Drawings (visual works) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Illustration of books -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Illustrators -- Canada Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Illustrators -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Plants -- Juvenile fiction Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- watercolors (paintings) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Margaret Bloy Graham Collection, circa 1956-circa 1959
- Caitlin Marineau
- June 2014
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- April 2023: Items reboxed and description updated by Caitlin Marineau.
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Children's Literature Research Collections Collecting Area
Suite 113, Elmer L. Andersen Library