Russell Davis Collection
Scope and Contents
The collection contains material related to two children's books by Davis. The material for Ten Thousand Desert Swords includes Arabic and English typescripts, correspondence from Brent Ashabranner (cowriter), and one photograph of a child listening to a recording (connection of photograph to this title is unclear). The collection also contains a partial corrected typescript for the book Chief Joseph, also written with Ashabranner.
- 1958- circa 1962
- Davis, Russell G. (Person)
- Ashabranner, Brent K. (Collaborator, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Russell Davis was born October 29, 1922 in Boston, Mass. He attended Dartmouth College, received an A.B. from College of Holy Cross in 1943, and an Ed.M from Harvard University in 1952. He was Professor of Education and Development at Harvard. Most of his children's books were written in collaboraton with Brent Ashabranner. Davis died in 1993.
Language of Materials
The collection contains a small amount of material related to two titles written by Russell G. Davis (cowritten with Brent K. Ashabranner).
- Arabs -- History -- Juvenile literature Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Authors, American -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Banī Hilāl (Egypt) -- History -- Juvenile literature Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Children's literature, American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Joseph (Nez Percé Chief), 1840-1904 (Depicted) -- Juvenile fiction
- Manuscripts for publication Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Russell Davis Collection, 1958-circa 1962
- Jim Eyer
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- August 2018: Collection reprocessed and finding aid updated by Caitlin Marineau
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Children's Literature Research Collections Collecting Area
Suite 113, Elmer L. Andersen Library