Kate DiCamillo Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection contains production materials for children's books authored by Kate DiCamillo, including the Newbery Award winning books The Tale of Despereaux and Flora and Ulysses, as well as the Newbery honor book Because of Winn Dixie, and the Mercy Watson series. Materials include typescripts, correspondence, notes, page proofs, galley proofs, dummies, and layout notes.
- Creation: 1995 - 2022
- DiCamillo, Kate (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Kate DiCamillo was born March 25, 1964 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and earned her BA from the University of Florida in 1964. The author of books for children, She is best known for her chapter books, including the Newbery Honor book Because of Winn-Dixie, and Newbery Award Winning, The Tale of Desperaux, and Flora and Ulysses. She has also authored the Mercy Watson, Bink and Gollie, and Deckawoo Drive series of children's books. She lives in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
"Kate DiCamillo (1964-)." Something About the Author. Vol. 338. Detroit, MI: Gale, 2019.
19.19 Cubic Feet (20 boxes (12 record cartons, 1 hollinger box, 7 flat boxes). )
Language of Materials
The collections contain production materials for children's books by Kate DiCamillo.
Collection guide arranged alphabetically by published title.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Kate DiCamillo.
translation missing: en.enumerations.subject_term_type.Topical
Genre / Form
- Adventure stories
- Animals -- Juvenile fiction
- Authors, American -- 21st century
- Children's stories, American
- City and town life -- Juvenile fiction
- Coming of age -- Juvenile fiction
- Dogs -- Juvenile fiction
- Dysfunctional families -- Juvenile fiction
- Elephants -- Juvenile fiction
- Humorous stories
- Loneliness -- Juvenile fiction
- Mice -- Juvenile fiction
- Missing children -- Juvenile fiction
- Moving, household -- Juvenile fiction
- Orphans -- Juvenile fiction
- Picture books
- Princesses -- Juvenile fiction
- Romance fiction
- Squirrels -- Juvenile fiction
- Superheroes -- Juvenile fiction
- Swine -- Juvenile fiction
- Toys -- Juvenile fiction
- Kate DiCamillo Papers, 1995-2022
- John Barneson, Jim Eyer
- 2003, 2009
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- April 2013: Collection reprocessed by Mary Blissenbach; EAD updated by Karen Spilman.
- October 2016: New material added and finding aid updated by Caitlin Marineau.
- March 2018: New material added and finding aid updated by Carter Thurmond.
- October 2019: New material added and finding aid updated by Caitlin Marineau.
- September 2022: New material added and finding aid updated by Carter Thurmond.
- March 2023: New material added by Carter Thurmond.
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Children's Literature Research Collections Collecting Area
Suite 113, Elmer L. Andersen Library