Walt Disney Productions Collection
Scope and Contents
The collection contains a variety of material from Walt Disney Productions. It includes several painted backgrounds and animation cels, marketing material, and a vinyl record related to the 1958 Disney featurette Paul Bunyan; a single animation cel from the film Fantasia; pastel illustrations and studies, a corrected typescript, and dummy for the picture book adaptation of Bambi, published in 1941; several studies related to Dumbo (it is unclear if these were for the film or for a picture book version); and a pastel drawing of Mickey Mouse inscribed to Dr. Irvin Kerlan by Walt Disney.
- circa 1940-1981, undated
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Walt Disney was born December 5, 1901 in Chicago, Ill, and died December 15, 1966 in Burbank, Cal. He was an animator and producer, and a pioneer in the animated cartoon industry, branching out into books, comic books, television, amusement parks, and a variety of related products. His production company, now known as the Walt Disney Company, is one of the largest entertainment companies in the world, and is especially well known for it's animated films, including Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Fantasia, Bambi, and dozens of others. Walt Disney's creation Mickey Mouse is one of the most well-known animated characters in the world. The company was founded in 1923 as the Disney Brothers Cartoon Studio. During the period that this collection spans, the company was called Walt Disney Productions.
1.1 Cubic Feet (3 boxes [1 half hollinger box and 2 flat boxes])
Language of Materials
Contains a variety of materials related to Walt Disney Productions, including some animation cels, illustrations and typescripts related to books published in conjunction with Disney films, a drawing of Mickey Mouse by Walt Disney, and mechanicals for a calendar.
The collection is arranged alphabetically by title.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Some of the material was collected and donated by Dr. Irvin Kerlan.
- Animated cartoons Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Animated films Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Animation cels Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Bambi (Fictitious character) (Depicted)
- Bunyan, Paul (Legendary character) (Depicted)
- Children's literature -- Illustrations Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Children's literature, American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Children's stories, American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Deer -- Juvenile fiction Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Disney characters Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Dumbo (Fictitious character) (Depicted)
- Elephants -- Juvenile fiction Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mouse, Mickey (Fictitious character) (Depicted)
- Pastels (visual works) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Sketches Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Walt Disney Productions Collection, circa 1940-1981, undated
- Jim Eyer
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- June 2019: Collection reprocessed and finding aid updated by Caitlin Marineau
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Children's Literature Research Collections Collecting Area
Suite 113, Elmer L. Andersen Library