Chester Aaron Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection contains written production material, including corrected typescripts, corrected galley proof, for 2 books written by Chester Aaron.
- 1981 - 1982
- Aaron, Chester (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Chester Aaron was born May 9, 1923 in Butler, Pennsylvania. He served in the army during World War II, and afterwards worked a series of odd jobs while continuing to write, including working as an x-ray technician for fifteen years. In 1966 he earned a BA from the University of California, Berkeley, and in 1972 an MA from San Francisco State University. His first book, an adult novel entitled About Us, was published in 1967. Soon after, he took a position at St. Mary's College in Maraga, California, shere he worked as an English professor. He wrote around a dozen novels for young adults, in addition to works for adults and several books about garlic (after retiring from teaching in 1993 he took up garlic farming). Aaron died in 2019.
"Chester Aaron (1923-)." Something about the Author. Volume 216. Detroit, MI: Gale, 2011.
.3 Cubic Feet (1 box)
Language of Materials
The collection contains written production material for two books written by Chester Aaron.
- Holocaust, Jewish (1939-1945) -- Juvenile fiction Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Authors, American -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Jews -- Poland -- Juvenile fiction Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Manuscripts for publication Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ranch life -- Juvenile fiction Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Young adult fiction, American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Young adult literature, American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Chester Aaron Papers, 1981-1982
- John Barneson and Sharlene Murphy
- September 2004
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- March 2013: Collection reprocessed by Carly Lawrence; EAD updated by Karen Spilman
- June 2022: Description updated by Caitlin Marineau.
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Children's Literature Research Collections Collecting Area
Suite 113, Elmer L. Andersen Library