Jacqueline Jackson papers
Scope and Contents
The collection contains material related to three books written by Jacqueline Jackson. The bulk of the collection is typescripts and correspondence for the children's book Chicken Ten Thousand, and there is a small amount of material for the books The Endless Pavement and Stories from the Round Barn (the latter was not written for children).
- 1960-circa 1996
- Jackson, Jacqueline, 1928- (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Jacqueline (Arthur) Jackson was born on May 3, 1938, in Beloit, Wisconsin. She earned a BA from Beloit College and an MA from the University of Michiganin 1951. During her career she taught writing and literature at the University level, particularly creative writing for children. She wrote her first book for children, Julie's Secret Sloth, in 1953, and she received the Notable Book citation from the American Library Association, and the Dorothy Canfield Fisher children's book award for her book The Taste of Spruce Gum (1966). In addition to teaching and writing, she also produced the public radio show "Reading and Writing and Radio".
Biographical Source: "Jacqueline Jackson (1928-)." Something About the Author. Vol. 65. Detroit, MI: Gale, 1991.
Language of Materials
The collection contains material related to three books written by Jacqueline Jackson.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Jacqueline Jackson.
- Authors, American -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Chickens -- Juvenile fiction Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Children's literature, American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Children's stories, American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Fantasy -- Juvenile fiction Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Farm life -- Anecdotes Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Manuscripts for publication Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Science fiction -- Juvenile fiction Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Jacqueline Jackson papers, 1960-circa 1996
- Jim Eyer
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- July 2018: Collection reprocessed and finding aid updated by Caitlin Marineau
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Children's Literature Research Collections Collecting Area
Suite 113, Elmer L. Andersen Library