Doris Faber Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection contains production materials for 11 nonfiction biographical children's books published between 1963 and 1985, written by Doris Faber. The materials include holographs (manuscripts), typescripts, proofs, correspondence, and research materials (including notes, reference articles,clippings, and photographs).
- Creation: 1963-1985, undated
- Faber, Doris, 1924- (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Doris Faber is an American biographer and nonfiction writer for children, her books covering notable men and women throughout American history and politics. Born Doris Greenberg on January 29, 1924 in New York, NY, Doris originally wanted to be a reporter. She attended Goucher College for two years before transferring to New York University, eventually graduating with a B.A. in 1943. While in New York she became s correspondent for the New York Times. She eventually married Harold Faber, a writer and editor for the New York Times, in 1951. After eight years with the Times, Doris left to pursue freelance writing and began her career writing nonfiction books for children.
3.45 Cubic Feet (3 boxes)
Language of Materials
The collection includes materials for eleven juvenile nonfiction books and biographies written by Doris Faber.
Collection guide arranged alphabetically by publication title.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Doris Faber.
- Eisenhower, Dwight D. (Dwight David), 1890-1969 -- Juvenile literature (Depicted, Person)
- Roosevelt, Eleanor, 1884-1962 -- Juvenile literature (Depicted, Person)
- Roosevelt, Franklin D. (Franklin Delano), 1882-1945 -- Juvenile literature (Depicted, Person)
- Truman, Harry S., 1884-1972 -- Juvenile literature (Depicted, Person)
- Pocahontas, -1617 -- Juvenile literature (Depicted, Person)
- Abzug, Bella, 1920-1998 -- Juvenile literature (Depicted, Person)
- Thatcher, Margaret -- Juvenile literature (Depicted, Person)
- Stanton, Elizabeth Cady, 1815-1902 -- Juvenile literature (Depicted, Person)
translation missing: en.enumerations.subject_term_type.Topical
Genre / Form
- Doris Faber papers, 1963-1985, undated
- Lois Steer and CLRC staff
- January 2004
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- October 2013: Collection reprocessed by Laura Howard; EAD updated by Kate Dietrick
- June 2022: Description updated by Caitlin Marineau.
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Children's Literature Research Collections Collecting Area
Suite 113, Elmer L. Andersen Library