Randolph Caldecott Collection
Scope and Contents
The Randolph Caldecott collection includes a small number of illustrations associated with two books published by Caldecott, as well as several miscellaneous pieces of art, including watercolors and an ink drawing created in the style of John Tenniel's Alice in Wonderland art, which appears to have been an editorial cartoon. The collection also includes a packet of correspondence Caldecott had written to artist Thomas Armstrong in the early 1880s, as well as two letters regarding Dr. Irvin Kerlan's purchase of the letters in the early 1960s, including biographical information on Armstrong.
- Majority of material found within 1879-1962, undated
- Caldecott, Randolph, 1846-1886 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Artist and illustrator Randolph Caldecott was born in Chester, England in 1846. He attended the Manchester School of Art and worked in banks before moving to London to begin his career as a freelance illustrator.
Since 1938 the Caldecott Medal has been awarded annually to the illustrator of the best children's picture book published in the United States during the previous year.
"Randolph (J.) Caldecott (1846-1886)." Something About the Author. Vol. 17. Detroit, MI: Gale, 1979.
.3 Cubic Feet (1 flat box)
Language of Materials
The collection contains drawings and watercolors by illustrator Randolph Caldecott, as well as correspondence he wrote to artist Thomas Armstrong.
Collection guide arranged alphabetically by publication title or material type.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Dr. Irvin Kerlan.
- Armstrong, Thomas, 1832-1911
- Children's literature -- Illustrations Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Children's literature, English Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Drawings (visual works) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Illustration of books -- 19th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Illustrators -- England Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Nursery rhymes Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- editorial cartoons Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- watercolors (paintings) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Randolph Caldecott Collection, 1879-1885, 1961-1962, undated
- Leslie Czechowski
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- June 2018: Collection reprocessed and finding aid updated by Caitlin Marineau
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Children's Literature Research Collections Collecting Area
Suite 113, Elmer L. Andersen Library