Eric Carle Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection contains illustrations and studies for several picture books illustrated by Carle in the 1970s, including the series, My Very First Library. The collection also contains one set of oversize publishing proofs for Why Noah Chose the Dove.
- Creation: 1971 - 1974
- Carle, Eric (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Author and illustrator Eric Carle was born in Syracuse, NY in 1929. He worked as a graphic designer and art director before becoming a freelance writer, illustrator, and designer in 1963. He received numerous awards for his picture books including the perennially popular, The Very Hungry Caterpillar. Carle died in 2021.
4 Linear Feet (4 boxes and 1 flat portfolio)
Language of Materials
Contains proofs, illustrations, and studies for picture books by Eric Carle.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Eric Carle.
translation missing: en.enumerations.subject_term_type.Topical
- Children's literature, American
- Color -- Juvenile literature
- Illustration of books -- 20th century
- Illustrators -- United States
Genre / Form
- Authors, American -- 20th century
- Birthdays -- Juvenile fiction
- Cats -- Juvenile fiction
- Children's literature -- Illustrations
- Children's stories, American
- Clocks and watches -- Juvenile literature
- Picture books
- Shapes -- Juvenile literature
- Time -- Juvenile literature
- Vocabulary -- Juvenile literature
- Eric Carle Papers, 1971-1974
- Leslie Czechowski
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- December 2015: Collection reprocessed by Lydia Arant, EAD updated by Lisa Calahan
- May 2022: Description updated by Caitlin Marineau.
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Children's Literature Research Collections Collecting Area
Suite 113, Elmer L. Andersen Library