Margot Benary-Isbert Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection contains three typescripts in German for titles written by Margot Benary-Isbert. The books were also translated and published in English.
- circa 1951-circa 1965
- Benary-Isbert, Margot (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Margot Benary-Isbert was born in 1889 in Saarbruecken, Germany. She attended the College of St Carolus and the University of Frankfurt. She became a U.S. citizen in 1957. She wrote children's books from 1952 to her death in 1979. She wrote her books in German and they were then translated into English and published in the United States. They were also translated in eleven countries. Benary-Isbert died in 1979.
"Margot Benary-Isbert (1889-1979)." Something About the Author. Vol. 2 and 21. Detroit, MI: Gale, 1971 and 1980.
Language of Materials
The collection contains corrected typescripts for three German children's books by Margot Benary-Isbert.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Margot Benary-Isbert.
- Authors, American -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Authors, German -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Children's literature, German Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Detective and mystery stories Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Fantasy -- Juvenile fiction Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Germany -- Social life and customs -- 19th century -- Juvenile fiction Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Manuscripts for publication Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Margot Benary-Isbert Papers, circa 1951-circa 1965
- Nancy Larsen
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- June 2018: Collection reprocessed and finding aid updated by Caitlin Marineau
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Children's Literature Research Collections Collecting Area
Suite 113, Elmer L. Andersen Library