Ruth Christoffer Carlsen Papers
Scope and Content
This collection contains material related to for eight children's books published from 1951 to 1973 and unpublished materials including typescript, galley proof, correspondence, notes, clippings, and reviews. The collection contains several folders of correspondence, including some from children.
- Creation: 1949-1987, undated
- Carlsen, Ruth Christoffer (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Author and editor Ruth Christoffer Carlsen was born in 1918 in Wisconsin, and earned a BA in journalism from the University of Minnesota. Her first book, Mr. Pudgins, was published in 1953. In addition to writing for children, she also edited educational materials, along with her husband, English professor G. Robert Carlsen. She died in Iowa in 2006.
"Ruth C(hristoffer) Carlsen." Something About the Author. Vol. 2. Detroit, MI: Gale, 1971.
"Ruth Carlsen." Obituary. Lensing Funeral and Cremation Services. https://www.lensingfuneral.com/obituaries/Ruth-Carlsen?obId=43696#/obituaryInfo.
2.7 Cubic Feet (3 boxes)
Language of Materials
This collection consists of production material related to children's books by Ruth Christoffer Carlsen.
Collection guide arranged alphabetically by book title or material type.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Ruth Christoffer Carlsen.
translation missing: en.enumerations.subject_term_type.Topical
Genre / Form
- Authors, American -- 20th century
- Babysitters -- Juvenile fiction
- Brothers and sisters -- Juvenile fiction
- Children's stories, American
- Extrasensory perception -- Juvenile fiction
- Families -- Juvenile fiction
- Fantasy fiction
- Ghost stories
- Imagination -- Juvenile fiction
- Magic -- Juvenile fiction
- Science fiction
- Ruth Christoffer Carlsen papers, 1949-1987, undated
- CLRC staff
- April 2004
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- April 2014: Collection reprocessed by Carly Lawrence; EAD updated by Kate Dietrick
- May 2022: Description updated by Caitlin Marineau.
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Children's Literature Research Collections Collecting Area
Suite 113, Elmer L. Andersen Library