Mary Calhoun Papers
Scope and Contents
Mary Calhoun's papers focus on her work as an author of children's books. The collection includes manuscript materials for numerous titles and includes typescripts, proofs, notes, clippings, illustrations, and correspondence. Included are materials for her first Katie John book (1960) plus numerous others.
- Creation: 1957 - 2001
- Calhoun, Mary (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Mary Huiskamp Calhoun was born in Keokuk, Iowa in 1926. After graduating from the State University of Iowa in 1948 she worked as a newspaper reporter in Omaha, Nebraska and Gresham, Oregon.
Her first children's book, Making the Mississippi Shout, was published in 1957 and reflected her lifelong love of the river near which she was raised. She is known for her Katie John books that developed from childhood memories of her great-grandfather's big brick house on a bluff above the Mississippi River.
Biographical source: "Mary (Huiskamp) Calhoun (1926-)." Something About the Author. Vol. 2. Detroit, MI: Gale, 1971.
4 Cubic Feet (4 boxes)
Language of Materials
The Mary Calhoun papers contain materials related to children's books written by Calhoun.
Publications are arranged alphabetically by title.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Mary Calhoun.
translation missing: en.enumerations.subject_term_type.Topical
Genre / Form
- Authors, American -- 20th century
- Bears -- Juvenile fiction
- Bedtime -- Juvenile fiction
- Birds -- Juvenile fiction
- Cats -- Juvenile fiction
- Children's stories, American
- Christmas stories
- Dogs -- Juvenile fiction
- Elves -- Juvenile fiction
- Fairy Tales
- Families -- Juvenile fiction
- Floods -- Juvenile fiction
- Folklore -- United States
- Folklore -- Denmark
- Folklore -- England
- Folklore -- Scotland
- Goblins -- Juvenile fiction
- Horses -- Juvenile fiction
- Hot air balloons -- Juvenile fiction
- Love stories
- Magic -- Juvenile fiction
- Medicine shows -- United States -- Juvenile literature
- Methodism -- Juvenile fiction
- Moving, household -- Juvenile fiction
- Orphans -- Juvenile fiction
- Picture books
- Single parent families -- Juvenile fiction
- Sleep -- Juvenile fiction
- Witchcraft -- Juvenile fiction
- Witches -- Juvenile fiction
- Mary Calhoun Papers, 1957-2001
- Leslie Czechowski
- March 2004
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- May 2013: Collection reprocessed and finding aid updated.
- May 2022: Description updated by Caitlin Marineau.
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Children's Literature Research Collections Collecting Area
Suite 113, Elmer L. Andersen Library