Jacqueline Bernard Papers
Scope and Contents
The collections consists of production material for a single book by Bernard, Journey Toward Freedom; The Story of Sojourner Truth, and includes typescripts, a galley proof, correspondence and notes.
The Arthur and Elizabeth Schlesinger Library on the History of Women in America at Harvard University holds a collection of Jacqueline Bernard's papers.
- Bernard, Jacqueline, 1921-1983 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Jacqueline Bernard was born on May 25, 1921 in Le Bourget du Lac, Savoie, France. She attended Vassar College (1939-1941) and the University of Chicago (1941-1942). Bernard was a reporter, advertising copywriter, social activist and writer of books for children. She was the author of the books Voices from the Southwest(1972) and Journey Toward Freedom: The Story of Sojourner Truth(1967), which was a Horn Book Honor Book and an ALA Notable book. Jacqueline Bernard died in New York City in 1983.
Biographical Source: "Jacqueline (de Sieyes) Bernard (1921-).' Something About the Author. Vol. 8. Detroit, MI: Gale, 1976.
1 Cubic Foot (1 box)
Language of Materials
The collections consists of production material for one children's book by Jacqueline Bernard.
- Authors, American -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Children's literature, American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Manuscripts for publication Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Truth, Sojourner, 1799-1883 (Depicted) -- Juvenile literature
- Young adult literature, American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Jacqueline Bernard Papers, 1962-1967
- Nancy Larsen
- March 2004
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- April 2013: Collection reprocessed by Carly Lawrence; EAD updated by Karen Spilman
- May 2022: Description updated by Caitlin Marineau.
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Children's Literature Research Collections Collecting Area
Suite 113, Elmer L. Andersen Library