Miriam Cohen Papers
Scope and Contents
This collection consists of manuscript materials related to over a dozen juvenile fiction titles published between 1967 and 2009 and includes correspondence, artwork, clippings, notes, research, corrected page proofs, corrected typescripts, and dummies. The collection also contains materials related to unpublished works, as well as various notes, correspondence, and biographical materials.
- Creation: 1967-circa 2009
- Cohen, Miriam, 1926- (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Miriam Cohen was born in Brooklyn, New York in 1926. She attended Newburgh Free Academy in 1943 and graduated from Antioch College in 1945. Her first book, Will I Have a Friend?, illustrated by Lillian Hoban, was published in 1967. It was the first of many books about Jim and Paul in Cohen's and Hoban's series, "First-Grade Friends."
2.23 Cubic Feet (2 record cartons and 1 flat box)
Language of Materials
This collection consists of manuscript materials related to over a dozen juvenile fiction publications by Miriam Cohen, as well as unpublished material.
The collection is arranged into three series:
1) Published Works
2) Works Unverified as Published
3) Author's materials (containing biographical material, reviews, correspondence, and related material)
Titles within published and unpublished works are arranged alphabetically.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Miriam Cohen and Gabriel Cohen.
translation missing: en.enumerations.subject_term_type.Topical
- Authors, American -- 20th century
- Authors, American -- 21st century
- Brazil -- Juvenile fiction
- Brothers and sisters -- Juvenile fiction
- Children's stories, American
- Christmas stories
- Families -- Juvenile fiction
- Friendship -- Juvenile fiction
- Imagination -- Juvenile fiction
- Infants -- Juvenile fiction
- Interpersonal relations -- Juvenile fiction
- Picture books
- Prejudices -- Juvenile fiction
- Schools -- Juvenile fiction
- Soldiers -- Juvenile fiction
- Teachers -- Juvenile fiction
- Miriam Cohen papers, 1967-circa 2009
- Finding aid created by CLRC staff
- October 2004, May 2014
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- October 2018: Collection Reprocessed (and New Material Added) by Kristell Benson
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Children's Literature Research Collections Collecting Area
Suite 113, Elmer L. Andersen Library