Juanita Havill Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection contains production material for twenty-three published and unpublished children's books written by Havill. Production materials include manuscripts, typescripts, proofs, notes, research, and related material. The collection also contains a small amount of correspondence.
- Creation: 1984 - 2009
- Havill, Juanita (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Juanita Havill was born May 11, 1949 in Evansville, Indiana. She graduated from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign receiving her B.A in 1971 and her M.A in 1973. Juanita Havill worked as a translator for companies in France and the United States and also worked as an instructor and lecturer in the United States. Juanita Havill had begun writing as a child and after her own children were born she "settled down to write." In 1986, she published her first picture book for children, Jamaica's Find. The book received several awards including the 1987 Ezra Jack Keats New Writer award. Havill lives in Arizona.
Biographical Source: "Juanita Havill (1949-)." Something About the Author. Vol. 74. Detroit, MI: Gale, 2005.
1.5 Linear Feet (5 boxes)
Language of Materials
The collection contains production material for nearly two-dozen children's books by Juanita Havill.
Collection guide arranged alphabetically by book title.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Juanita Havill.
translation missing: en.enumerations.subject_term_type.Topical
Genre / Form
- African Americans -- Juvenile fiction
- Asian Americans -- Juvenile fiction
- Authors, American -- 20th century
- Brothers -- Juvenile fiction
- Brothers and sisters -- Juvenile fiction
- Children's poetry, American
- Children's stories, American
- Clocks and watches -- Juvenile fiction
- Dance -- Juvenile fiction
- Elephants -- Juvenile fiction
- Fairy Tales
- Friendship -- Juvenile fiction
- Gardening -- Juvenile fiction
- Gardens -- Juvenile fiction
- Mexican Americans -- Juvenile fiction
- Moving, household -- Juvenile fiction
- Pets -- Juvenile fiction
- Picture books
- Play -- Juvenile fiction
- Schools -- Juvenile fiction
- Sisters -- Juvenile fiction
- Trees -- Juvenile fiction
- Trolls -- Juvenile fiction
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Juvenile fiction
- Juanita Havill Papers, 1984-2009
- Elizabeth Langley, Updated By: Ruth Paloma
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- October 15, 2014: Collection reprocessed by CLRC volunteer, EAD updated by Lisa Calahan.
- February 2022: Description updated by Caitlin Marineau.
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Children's Literature Research Collections Collecting Area
Suite 113, Elmer L. Andersen Library