Joice M. NanKivell Loch Collection
Scope and Contents
The collection contains typescripts for two children's books on Greek folklore by Joice NanKivell Loch, Tales of Christophilos and More Christophilos.
- circa 1954-1959
- Loch, Joice NanKivell, 1893-1982 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Joice NanKivell Loch was an author, journalist, and humanitarian. She was born in Australia in 1887. She went to Europe with her husband Sydney Loch as aid workers during during both World Wars, working with refugees in Poland and Greece. She received awards for her work during World War I, as well as her efforts during World War II to save Polish Jewish children from the Nazis. In 1972 she was made an Member of the Order of the British Empire. Loch died in 1982.
Language of Materials
Joice Nankivell's papers focus on her work as an author of children's books. The collection contains production material for two children's books published in 1954 and 1959.
- Authors, Australian -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Children's literature Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Folklore -- Greece -- Juvenile literature Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Manuscripts for publication Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Joice M. NanKivell Loch Collection, circa 1954-1959
- Christine Schonhart
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- February 2018: Collection reprocessed and finding aid updated by Caitlin Marineau
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Children's Literature Research Collections Collecting Area
Suite 113, Elmer L. Andersen Library