Ellen Wittlinger Papers
Scope and Contents
This collection consists of manuscript materials for juvenile and young adult publications by Ellen Wittlinger, and includes typescripts, manuscripts, correspondence, research materials, notes, and proofs for works published between 1992 and 2017.
- Creation: 1992 - 2017
- Wittlinger, Ellen (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Ellen Wittlinger was born October 21, 1948 in Belleville, Illinois and attended Millikin University in Decatur, Illinois. She completed her Masters of Fine Arts at the University of Iowa. In 1979 her poetry book, Breakers, was published, but it wasn't until afater she had children and worked as a children's librarian that she aimed to write for young adults. Her first novel, Lombardo's Law, was published in 1993. Her 2000 publication, Hard Love, was a Printz Honor book and also won a Lambda Literary Award. Wittlinger lives in western Massachusetts; her personal website can be found at www.ellenwittlinger.com.
6.25 Cubic Feet (5 record cartons)
Language of Materials
This collection consists of manuscript materials related to novels and short stories by Ellen Wittlinger published between 1995 and 2017.
Collection guide is arranged alphabetically by publication title, with short stories/articles and miscellaneous material at the end.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Ellen Wittlinger.
translation missing: en.enumerations.subject_term_type.Topical
- Authors, American -- 20th century
- Authors, American -- 21st century
- Authorship -- Juvenile fiction
- Dating (social customs) -- Juvenile fiction
- Death -- Juvenile fiction
- Divorce -- Juvenile fiction
- Emotional problems -- Juvenile fiction
- Families -- Juvenile fiction
- Friendship -- Juvenile fiction
- Guilt -- Juvenile fiction
- Homosexuality -- Juvenile fiction
- Identity (philosophical concept) -- Juvenile fiction
- Interpersonal relations -- Juvenile fiction
- Murder -- Juvenile fiction
- Transgender people -- Juvenile fiction
- Young adult fiction, American
- Ellen Wittlinger papers, 1992-2017
- Finding aid created by Kate Dietrick
- July 2014
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- July 2014: Collection reprocessed by Laura Howard; EAD updated by Kate Dietrick
- September 2016: Finding Aid updated by Caitlin Marineau
- April 2019: New material added and collection guide updated
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Children's Literature Research Collections Collecting Area
Suite 113, Elmer L. Andersen Library