Mario Rivoli Papers
Scope and Contents
The Mario Rivoli Collection contains illustrative production material for one children's picture book, Do Tigers Ever Bite Kings?, published in 1966, including ink illustrations with separations, page proofs, and linoleum prints.
- circa 1966
- Rivoli, Mario (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Illustrator and artist Mario Rivoli was born January 31, 1943, in New York, NY. He studied at New York's School of Visual art and the Art Student's League, as well as the Newvillage School for Clowns. He illustrated books such as A Song For Clowns, Do Tigers Ever Bite Kings?Best Foot Forward. He eventually settled in Denver, Colorado where he worked as an artist and antiques dealer. Rivoli died in 2021.
"Mario Rivoli (1943-)." Something About the Author. Volume 10. Detroit, MI: Gale, 1976.
Mario Rivoli obituary. Denver Post. June 6, 2021.
.29 Cubic Feet (1 flat box)
Language of Materials
The Mario Rivoli papers contains illustrative production material from one children's book illustrated by Rivoli.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Mario Rivoli.
- Children's literature -- Illustrations Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Color separation (technique) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Drawings (visual works) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Illustration of books -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Illustrators -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Kings and rulers -- Juvenile fiction Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Linocuts (prints) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Picture books Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mario Rivoli Papers, circa 1966
- Sharlene Murphy
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- July 2023: Collection reprocessed and collection guide updated by Caitlin Marineau.
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Children's Literature Research Collections Collecting Area
Suite 113, Elmer L. Andersen Library