Arnold Lobel Papers
Scope and Contents
The papers focus on Arnold Lobel's work as an author and illustrator of children's books. It contains production material for published and unpublished titles, and includes both manuscript and illustrative materials, with an emphasis on the latter. Manuscript material includes typescripts and proofs, and illustrative material includes illustrations done in a variety of media, some with separations, studies, and dummies.
- Creation: 1961-1978, undated
- Lobel, Arnold (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Arnold Lobel, born May 22, 1933, was an award winning children's book author and illustrator. During his 26 year career, he wrote, illustrated, and collaborated on close to 100 books. Born in Los Angeles, CA and raised in Schenectady, NY, Lobel was often sick in gradeschool. To pass time at home and engage with his classmates, he would draw and create stories. In 1955, Mr. Lobel graduated with a degree in fine arts from Pratt Institute in Brooklyn, NY. That same year he married Anita Kempler, also a graduate of Pratt Institute and a children's author and illustrator who he collaborated on several books with. He is best known for his Frog and Toad series of books, and he was awarded the Caldecott Medal in 1981 for Fables. Lobel died December 4, 1987.
Language of Materials
The Arnold Lobel papers contain materials, both written and illustrative, related to Lobel's work as a creator of children's books.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Arnold Lobel.
translation missing: en.enumerations.subject_term_type.Topical
Genre / Form
- Animals -- Juvenile fiction
- Ants -- Juvenile literature
- Authors, American -- 20th century
- Bears -- Juvenile fiction
- Birthdays -- Juvenile fiction
- Children's literature -- Illustrations
- Children's stories, American
- Circus -- Juvenile fiction
- City and town life -- Juvenile fiction
- Conduct of Life -- Juvenile fiction
- Fairy Tales
- Fantasy fiction
- Folklore -- Russia
- Friendship -- Juvenile fiction
- Frogs -- Juvenile fiction
- Horses -- Juvenile fiction
- Humorous stories
- Indians of North America -- Juvenile fiction
- Jews -- Czech Republic -- Juvenile fiction
- Nursery rhymes
- Siblings -- Juvenile fiction
- Swine -- Juvenile fiction
- Witches -- Juvenile fiction
- Zoology -- Juvenile literature
- Arnold Lobel Papers, 1961-1978, undated
- Lisa Calahan
- December 2015
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- February 2023: Description updated by Caitlin Marineau.
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Children's Literature Research Collections Collecting Area
Suite 113, Elmer L. Andersen Library