Charlotte Zolotow papers
Scope and Contents
The Charlotte Zolotow Papers contain typescripts, page proofs, and notes for children's books Zolotow wrote and published between 1944 and 1991.
- Creation: 1944 - 1990
- Zolotow, Charlotte, 1915-2013 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Charlotte Zolotow was born Charlotte Shapiro on June 26, 1915 in Norfolk, Virginia. She attended the University of Wisconsin until 1936, then worked in the field of publishing, joining Harper Brothers in 1938. She published her first book, The Park Book, in 1944, sparking a decades-long career writing for children. She received Caldecott Honors for The Storm Book in 1953 and Mr. Rabbit and the Lovely Present in 1963. The Children's Literature Research Collections at the University of Minnesota honored her with the Kerlan Award in 1986, and in 1998 the Cooperative Children's Book Center at the University of Wisconsin created the Charlotte Zolotow Award, given annually to a children's book author. Zolotow died on November 19, 2013 in Hasting-on-Hudson, New York.
1.25 Cubic Feet (1 record carton)
Language of Materials
This collection consists of typescripts and page proofs related to books written and edited by Charlotte Zolotow.
The collection guide is arranged alphabetically by publication title.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Charlotte Zolotow.
translation missing: en.enumerations.subject_term_type.Topical
Genre / Form
- Authors, American -- 20th century
- Children's poetry, American
- Children's stories, American
- City and town life -- Juvenile fiction
- Dogs -- Juvenile fiction
- Dolls -- Juvenile fiction
- Families -- Juvenile fiction
- Friendship -- Juvenile fiction
- Holidays -- Juvenile fiction
- Infants -- Juvenile fiction
- Old age -- Juvenile fiction
- Parent and child -- Juvenile fiction
- Picture books
- Rabbits -- Juvenile fiction
- Seasons -- Juvenile fiction
- Short stories
- Siblings -- Juvenile fiction
- Snow -- Juvenile fiction
- Thunderstorms -- Juvenile fiction
- Charlotte Zolotow Papers, 1944-1990
- Caitlin Marineau
- May 2015
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- February 2023: Description updated by Caitlin Marineau.
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Children's Literature Research Collections Collecting Area
Suite 113, Elmer L. Andersen Library