John D. Fitzgerald Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection contains production materials, including typescripts, correspondence, proofs, and notes, for five titles published between 1967 and 1973 in John D. Fitzgerald's series of Great Brain books.
- circa 1967-circa 1973
- Fitzgerald, John Dennis (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
John Dennis Fitzgerald was born in 1907 in Utah. He worked as journalist, editor, and author for many years and published his first book for children The Great Brainin 1967. This book and the others in the "Great Brain" series were based on the author's childhood in Utah Territory with his brother Tom. John Dennis Fitzgerald died on May 21, 1988.
"John D(ennis) Fitzgerald (1907-1988)." Something About the Author. Vol. 56. Detroit, MI: Gale, 1989.
.8 Cubic Feet (2 hollinger boxes)
Language of Materials
John D. Fitzgerald's papers focus on his work as an outhor of children's books. The collection contains production material for five titles published between 1967 and 1973 in his Great Brain series.
Collection guide arranged alphabetically by title.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of John D. Fitzgerald.
- Authors, American -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Children's literature, American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Children's stories, American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Humorous stories Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Manuscripts for publication Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- John D. Fitzgerald Papers, circa 1967-circa 1973
- Christina Cowan, November 1998 and Larry Peterson, June 2004
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- August 2018: Collection reprocessed and finding aid updated by Caitlin Marineau
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Children's Literature Research Collections Collecting Area
Suite 113, Elmer L. Andersen Library