Aileen Fisher Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection contains typescripts and proofs for the books of poetry Out in the Dark and Daylight and When it Comes to Bugs, as well as sheet music and program for a Nativity choral program Fisher wrote the text for called By the Prophets Foretold. The bulk of the collection is composed of clippings and scrapbooks, primarily clippings of Fisher's published poems and puzzles. The papers also contain some correspondence.
- 1927 - 1990
- Fisher, Aileen, 1906-2002 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Children's writer Aileen Fisher was born September 9, 1906, in Iron River, MI. After briefly attending the University of Chicago, Fisher earned a degree in Journalism from the University of Missouri in 1927. After a brief career as a journalist and research assistant, Fisher became a freelance writer, and was the author of over 100 books in a variety of genres. She died in 2002 in Boulder, CO.
"Aileen (Lucia) Fisher (1906-2002)." Something About the Author, Vol. 73 and 143. Detroit, MI: Gale, 1993 and 2004.
1.65 Cubic Feet (2 boxes (1 record carton and 1 hollinger box))
Language of Materials
The Aileen Fisher papers contains written production material for several books written by Fisher, as well as clippings and correspondence related to her career as a writer and poet for children.
The collection is arranged into the following series:
1) By the Prophets Foretold (choral work) 2) Out in the Dark and Daylight 3) When it Comes to Bugs 4) Correspondence 5) Clippings
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Aileen Fisher.
- American poetry -- Juvenile poetry Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Authors, American -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Children's literature, American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Children's poetry, American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Children's stories, American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Manuscripts for publication Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Puzzles Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Aileen Fisher Papers, 1927-1990
- Larry Peterson
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- May 2018: Collection reprocessed and finding aid updated by Caitlin Marineau
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Children's Literature Research Collections Collecting Area
Suite 113, Elmer L. Andersen Library