Marian Curtis Foster (Mariana) Collection
Scope and Contents
The collection contains a watercolor dummy and several watercolor studies for titles illustrated by Mariane Curtis Foster (aka Mariane). The collection also contains a small collage, illustrated cards (including one card addressed to Dr. Irvin Kerlan), and a typescript containing an autobiographical sketch.
- 1944-circa 1958
- Mariana (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Marian Curtis Foster was born in 1909 in Cleveland, OH; she died October 27, 1978 in Southhampton, NY. She attended Shophie Newcomb College, Art Students League, New York City, and Grande Chaumiere, Paris, France. She wrote under the pseudonym Marianna. She was an author and illustrator of children's books. Some of the children's authors she illustrated for were Janice Brustlein, Janice Udry, Betty Peckinpah, Elizabeth Gordon, and Rhonda Berman. The drawings she did for her books were usually watercolor and gouache. Many of her original drawings are housed in the special Marianna Room of the Hockessin Elementary School Library in Wilmington, Delaware. Biographical Source: Something About the Authorvol. 23, p. 73-74
.1 Cubic Feet (14 items)
Language of Materials
Marian C. Foster's, aka Mariane's, papers includes watercolor studies for several titles by Foster, as well as cards and other miscellaneous works.
Gift of Dr. Irvin Kerlan.
- Authors, American -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Children's literature -- Illustrations Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Children's literature, American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Illustration of books -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Illustrators -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Picture books Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- collages (visual works) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- watercolors (paintings) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Marian Curtis Foster (Mariana) Collection, 1944-circa 1958
- Lois Steer
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note