George and Doris Hauman Collection
Scope and Contents
The collection contains one original black pencil and watercolor illustration for The Snow Queen, written by Hans Christian Andersen and illustrated by George and Doris Hauman.
- circa 1942
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
George and Doris Holt Hauman were American 20th century children's book illustrators. George was born in 1924 and died in 1961. Doris was born in 1898 in West Somerville, Massachusetts and studied at the Normal Art School in Boston. After George's death she taught art at the Derby Academy. She died in 1978. One of their best known works was the 1954 edition of The Little Engine That Could.
"George and Doris Hauman Papers." Finding Aid. de Grummond Children's Literature Collection. Hattiesburg, Mississippi: The University of Southern Mississippi, 1998.
Language of Materials
No linguistic content; Not applicable
The collection contains one original illustration for the children's book, Snow Queen.
- Children's literature -- Illustrations Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Drawings (visual works) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Fairy tales -- Japan Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Illustration of books -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Illustrators -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- watercolors (paintings) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- George and Doris Hauman collection, circa 1942
- Felicity Hanson
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- April 2023: Collection reprocessed and collection guide updated by Caitlin Marineau.
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Children's Literature Research Collections Collecting Area
Suite 113, Elmer L. Andersen Library