Ruth Heller Papers
Scope and Contents
The Ruth Heller Papers contain dozens of linear feet of material documenting the writing and illustration career of Ruth Heller. The collection contains illustrations, process art, dummies, typescripts, correspondence, and ephemera.
- Creation: 1964 - 2004
- Heller, Ruth, 1924-2004 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
The collection has no restrictions, however, boxes 49 and 50 are oversize and require at least 2 staff members to pull and may have difficulty fitting in the Reading Room. Please inquire with staff if you are interested in viewing these boxes, as alternate arrangements may be required for viewing.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Ruth Heller was born in 1924 in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, and died in 2004 in San Francisco, California. In addition to the many nonfiction children's books she wrote an illustrated, Heller also created coloring books, and illustrated several books written by other authors. Heller's style was well known for it's graphic and geometric nature.
57 boxes (51 boxes, 6 tubes)
Language of Materials
Collection includes typescripts, illustrations, process art, correspondence, and ephemera documenting the career of author and artist Ruth Heller.
Collection guide arranged alphabetically by title.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The collection was donated by Ruth Heller and her sons Paul and Philip Heller.
translation missing: en.enumerations.subject_term_type.Topical
Genre / Form
- Animals -- Juvenile literature
- Authors, American -- 20th century
- Camouflage (Biology) -- Juvenile litertaure
- Children's literature -- Illustrations
- Children's stories, American
- Coloring books
- English language -- Juvenile literature
- Nature -- Juvenile literature
- Protective coloring (Biology) -- Juvenile literature
- Ruth Heller Papers, 1964-2004
- CLRC staff
- 2004, 2015
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- January 14, 2015: EAD updated to reflect additional material by Lisa Calahan.
- January 2019: New material added and finding aid updated by Caitlin Marineau
- April 2021: New material added and description updated by Caitlin Marineau.
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Children's Literature Research Collections Collecting Area
Suite 113, Elmer L. Andersen Library