Friso Henstra Papers
Scope and Contents
Collection includes watercolor illustrations and sketches for two children's picture books illustrated by Henstra, including The Practical Princess an Stupid Marco, both written by Jay Williams. It also includes a pencil dummy with transcript for one of the titles.
- circa 1969-circa 1970
- Henstra, Friso (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Friso Henstra was born in 1928 in Amsterdam, Netherlands. He was originally a painter, switched to sculpture, and then became a free-lance illustrator. He has illustrated over 25 children's books. He died in 2013 in the Netherlands.
Language of Materials
The Friso Henstra papers includes materials related to two children's books illustrated by Friso Henstra.
Collection guide arranged alphabetically by book title.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Friso Henstra.
- Children's literature Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Drawings (visual works) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Fairy tales Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Illustration of books -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Illustrators -- Netherlands Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Sketches Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- watercolors (paintings) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Friso Henstra Papers, circa 1969-circa 1970
- Elizabeth Langley
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- January 2022: Description updated by Caitlin Marineau.
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Children's Literature Research Collections Collecting Area
Suite 113, Elmer L. Andersen Library