Jill Paton Walsh Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection consists mainly of corrected typescripts and corrected photocopy typescripts for eleven juvenile titles by Jill Paton Walsh published between 1966 and 1978. There are also a small number of notes, proofs, and other related production material.
- Creation: circa 1966-1978
- Paton Walsh, Jill, 1937- (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Jill Paton Walsh was born April 29, 1937, in London, England. She has written historical fiction, contemporary realistic fiction, science fiction, and nonfiction for young people, as well as works for adults. In the 1990s she moved in a new direction as a writer and began creating picture books and original folk tales for young children. She has won several awards and honors for her work, and received the CBE (Commander of the Order of the British Empire) in 1996. Jill Paton Walsh died in 2020.
"Jill Paton Walsh." Something About the Author. Vol. 190. Detroit, MI: Gale, 2009.
1.25 Cubic Feet (1 record carton)
Language of Materials
The collection contains production material for eleven titles by author Jill Paton Walsh published between 1966 and 1978.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Jill Paton Walsh.
Genre / Form
- England -- Juvenile fiction
- Great Britain -- History -- 20th century -- Juvenile fiction
- Great Britain -- History -- Anglo-Saxon period, 449-1066 -- Juvenile literature
- Greece -- History -- Persian Wars, 500-449 B.C. -- Juvenile fiction
- London (England) -- History -- Bombardment, 1940-1941 -- Juvenile fiction
- Authors, English -- 20th century
- Byzantine Empire -- History -- Constantine XI Dragases, 1448-1453 -- Juvenile fiction
- Canals -- Great Britain -- Juvenile fiction
- Child labor -- Juvenile fiction
- Children's literature, English
- Children's stories, English
- College teachers -- Juvenile fiction
- Space and time -- Juvenile fiction
- Summer -- Juvenile fiction
- Jill Paton Walsh Papers, circa 1966-1978
- Larry Peterson, November 2004
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- April 2019: Collection reprocessed and collection guide updated by Caitlin Marineau
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Children's Literature Research Collections Collecting Area
Suite 113, Elmer L. Andersen Library