Charles Payzant papers
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of illustrations, proofs, and related printing material for the book Wakapoo and the Flying Arrows, illustrated by Charles Payzant and written by Terry Shannon.
- circa 1963
- Payzant, Charles, 1898-1980 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
In the early 1950s, Charles Payzant wrote a book called Moko, the Circus Monkey. His wife, Terry Shannon (pseudonym of Jessie Mercer), became a writer of children's books in 1952, and he illustrated many of her works. The books they collaborated on were mostly nonfiction and were designed for the seven-to-twelve age group.
"Charles Payzant." Something About the Author, Vol. 21. Detroit, MI: Gale, 1980.
Language of Materials
The collection consists of illustrative material for one book illustrated by Charles Payzant.
- Children's literature -- Illustrations Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Chumash Indians -- Juvenile fiction Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Illustration of books -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Illustrators -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Picture books Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Tempera paintings Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Charles Payzant papers, circa 1963
- Larry Peterson, December 2004
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- September 2021: Description updated by Caitlin Marineau.
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Children's Literature Research Collections Collecting Area
Suite 113, Elmer L. Andersen Library