Cyril W. Hodges Collection
Scope and Contents
The Cyril Hodges collection includes an artist's dummy, sketches, proofs, and black and white illustrations for two books, a magazine story, and an untitled book.
- 1958, undated
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Cyril Walter Hodges was born in 1909 in Beckenham, Kent, England. He was a free-lance illustrator, designer and artist. He also self-illustrated and written many works for young people.
Language of Materials
Collection includes illustrative material for two books, a magazine story, and an untitled book.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The author/illustrator gave pieces of the collection to Dr. Kerlan between 1952 and 1956. Rose Dobbs, the author of Once Upon a Time Story Book, a book illustrated by Hodges, also donated an artist's dummy in 1968.
- Children's literature Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Drawings (visual works) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Fables Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Folklore Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Illustrators -- England Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Sketches Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Kerlan, Irvin, 1912-1963 (Donor, Person)
- Dobbs, Rose (Donor, Person)
- Cyril W. Hodges Collection, 1958, undated
- Elizabeth Langley
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- September 2021: Description updated by Caitlin Marineau.
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Children's Literature Research Collections Collecting Area
Suite 113, Elmer L. Andersen Library